Keep your adventures covered.
Stay afloat with confidence.
Whether you have a rowboat, yacht, or other type of personal watercraft, you need liability and physical damage coverage to keep you afloat in confidence. Most homeowner insurance policies offer a small amount of coverage (about $1,500) on your boat, but that is usually inadequate. For smooth sailing, buy a boat insurance policy that will protect you against the risks you face on land or sea.
Ready to buy now?
Offer valid with select carriers only.
What is covered in a boat insurance policy?
Boat or watercraft insurance is written for three main categories of property used on the water:
- Boats or vessels less than 25 feet long and 11 feet in height, including small motorboats, sailboats, and even rowboats, rafts, and anything else that floats. Coverage includes liability in case you hurt someone or damage their property with your boat, and physical damage that pays for theft and for boats damaged in accidents or by fire, lightning, vandalism or windstorm. Coverage includes motors, boat trailers, and equipment on board, but not your personal property unless you have separate coverage for your cell phone, fishing gear, or computer.
- Yachts, vessels that exceed 26 feet in length, including sport fishing boats, larger sailboats and cruisers. While the policy contains liability and physical damage coverage, for yachts, the coverage is called hull coverage and property damage and liability. Hull coverage covers the whole yacht if it is damaged by fire, theft, windstorm, lightning, or vandalism, while the liability portion covers property damage or bodily injury to someone aside from you or your family, with limits that can exceed $1 million.
- Personal watercraft, such as Jet Ski, See Doo, and Wave Runner. These small vessels, which pose a high risk as they are often driven by inexperienced drivers, require coverages such as bodily injury, property damage, guest passenger liability, medical payments, and theft. Personal watercraft insurance (PWC) covers situations such as:
- Injury or death to someone else.
- Negligence by someone else using your Jet Ski.
- Injuries to water skiers or wave runners.
- Physical damage to your vessel or another craft or dock.
How to get a boat insurance policy.
In all boat insurance policies, especially for PWC, there are typically many exclusions for coverage once you get it, and many variables to consider in the application process. Finding just the right carrier and the right policy for a small craft, yacht, or personal watercraft can be tricky. The best way to make sure that you are getting the coverage you need at a reasonable cost is to partner with a dedicated agent at Palm Desert Insurance Agency. We will present your criteria to the network of insurance companies that we work with to find the best boat insurance quote for your needs.
Call us today at (760) 341-2345 or stop by our officer for a personalized quote on boat insurance.
We are proud to provide insurance services throughout California in Palm Desert, Palm Springs, La Quinta, Indio and the Coachella Valley. We also serve cities in Arizona such as Phoenix, Scottsdale, Surprise, Glendale and Mesa.
On the corner of 111 and Sage for over 25 years, in your corner always.
73241 Hwy 111, Ste 1-B
Palm Desert, CA 92260